ScienceOpen works best when users are connected to their research. You can connect yourself to your research by updating your ScienceOpen profile. To a large extent, you can update your ScienceOpen profile by maintaining just your ORCID ID.
ScienceOpen user profiles are based almost exclusively on the public information you provide in your connected ORCID account.
When you connect ScienceOpen to ORCID, the following information will be automatically imported from your ORCID account:
- First Name
- Last Name
How to link publications to your ORCID ID
Listing links to publications on ORCID is important because it establishes your identity and your membership status on ScienceOpen. There are three ways to add your publication links to ORCID:
- Link your works from an external database [recommended]
- Import a BibTeX file
- Manually enter the information
After you complete this step, your publication list will be imported from ORCID and displayed on ScienceOpen under the ‘Other publication’ section of your ScienceOpen profile. The number of publications on your ScienceOpen profile determines your membership status, which in turn determines how you can interact with content on ScienceOpen.
Public and Private Information on ORCID
ORCID information with a privacy setting of ‘public’ will be synchronized with ScienceOpen. Therefore, at minimum, we recommend making the following information on your ORCID profile public:
To make information on your ORCID public, look for the icon:
Hover over the icon to see some options.
For further information see the ORCID Privacy Settings.
Also see here for further information on how to update your ORCID account.
ScienceOpen Profile Information not taken directly from ORCID
The following additional information on your ScienceOpen profile can be added under the ‘Edit Profile’ section of your ScienceOpen profile homepage.
- Profile image (will appear as a thumbnail in newsfeeds, group discussions and all interactions on the site)
- Disciplines (up to three) – which helps us to direct relevant peer review requests to you.
- Self description – again, very helpful if you want to receive new articles for review.
- Friendly URL (e.g. https://www.scienceopen.com/profile/firstname_lastname)