Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

Someone published an article authored by myself under his/her name on ScienceOpen Preprints. To whom could I report this issue and claim copyright infringement?”

Please fill in all required information about the article and your authorship into the Notice of Claimed Copyright Infringement form below (PDF) and submit it as an email to

Notice Claimed Copyright Infringement

How can I add articles to the ScienceOpen research corpus and to my profile?

At the moment, you can add content to your ScienceOpen profile from three sources: 1) ORCID; 2) our existing corpus of 33 million article records; 3) our article request feature.


We leverage ORCID for seamless and efficient integration of your research outputs into ScienceOpen. The new ORCID integration button on your profile page takes you to your Dashboard where you can import articles from your ORCID account with one click. After clicking on Refresh from ORCID, your ORCID records will be automatically imported to ScienceOpen. If needed, you can update ORCID permissions or edit your ORCID profile.

2. Claim authorship of articles in our research corpus

Another option for adding content to your ScienceOpen profile is claiming authorship of articles from our research corpus. It’s simple: select the Get more content menu on your dashboard (or just click on the Get more content button on your profile). Here the Claim your articles option shows how many potentially matching articles are found for you to claim. In case of finding this result list too long, the multi-layered searching and filtering tools available on all our search pages will help you to filter the needles from the haystack.

3. Article request

Missing an article or citation from ScienceOpen, or want to add more of your own publications? All we need are either a list of:

CrossRef DOIs or PubMed IDs

Simply upload a file or copy and paste them in, click the button, and away you go! We’ll send you a notification by email to let you know the status of each article. We’ll work our magic behind the scenes and integrate your selection as soon as is computationally possible.

You can even integrate articles here directly into your collections.


What data does ScienceOpen import from ORCID?

Currently we are indexing research articles only. Book chapters, conference proceedings or other content types will not be imported from your ORCID profile into ScienceOpen. As a next step, your articles will be validated by cross-checking them with trusted, cross-referenced repositories such as PubMed or CrossRef. Accordingly, having CrossRef DOIs, PubMed IDs, PMC IDs, arXiv IDs or DOAJ IDs will automatically get your articles through this validation process. We are currently seeing how we can work with other organisations (e.g., Figshare, Zenodo) to increase the diversity of content types available on ScienceOpen.

Articles I want to peer review or add to my collection aren’t in ScienceOpen.

Background: Our database is expanding at a rate of more than 1 million records a month. However, based on the data and the methods available to us, we don’t have everything.

Solution: Send us a list of DOIs/references and we’ll work our magic behind the scenes!


Does ScienceOpen index ‘green’ OA articles?

Background: Green OA articles are those which have been self-archived across a range of sources and platforms. We currently only harvest final published versions of articles, except for the arXiv, but are looking at adding ‘green’ versions and more pre-prints in the future.

Solution: Solution: Send sources/customers this way!

My article is not shown in the selection of matching articles on the ‘Publications waiting for your confirmation of authorship’ page. Why?

Barckground: Most frequent cases:

  • Your name might be displayed on the record in question in an alternative way compared to your ORCID profile.
  • The record in question is not yet validated (see above).

Solution: The best way to add the record in question to your ScienceOpen profile is to do so via a manual ORCID upgrade. That is, add the record to your ORCID profile first (this can also be automated there), and then click on ‘Refresh from ORCID’ on your ScienceOpen profile. If this is a common problem or you have a married or single name or abbreviated first name in your publication history, you can add such variants to your ORCID profile by using the Also known as feature of ORCID.

I found multiple versions of the same record on the ‘Publications waiting for your confirmation of authorship’ page. Which one should I claim?

Background: In some cases, we receive the same articles from multiple sources and with slightly (or not so slightly) different metadata, hence the duplications.

Solution: Claim the article record with the longest available breadcrumb (yes, it’s green) and with available abstract and article if possible.

In visual terms, we prefer this one or this one  over this one .

In one of my article records I found the capture: “This record is not yet validated.” How can I validate it?

Background: Being a research aggregator site, we bring together articles from a variety of platforms (such as CrossRef, PubMed, PubMed Central, arXiv, ORCID or publisher RSS feeds). This is in order to achieve the highest quality of metadata and discoverability of article records for you all. However, not all are equally trustable in terms of the quality of metadata, and not always consistent across sources. Considering that incomplete or ‘not fully accurate’ (tech speak: dodgy) metadata could cause serious damages in our system, we automate preference for trusted, cross-referenced repositories such as PubMed or CrossRef over manually edited or manually editable data sources such as article references.

Solution: To validate the record in question, please link it with one of the above repositories by assigning a CrossRef DOI, PMID, PMCID, or arXiv ID to your record in ORCID and the click on ‘Refresh from ORCID’ on your ScienceOpen profile. To make it even smoother, here you can learn about how to link your ORCID with the supported repositories (CrossRef or PubMed). Having no such ID to assign, unfortunately we cannot validate your record. In such cases please contact your publisher.

My Open Access article isn’t tagged as Open Access! I want my symbol!

Background: This happens when inappropriate metadata is supplied from the journal. ScienceOpen only recognizes CC BY content as ‘true’ Open Access, based on the BOAI definition of OA.

Solution: Please contact us here, and also contact your journal to get in touch with them about how we can improve their metadata services.

The order of authors of a record in question is wrong. How to fix it?

Barckground: In some cases, our metadata inputs do not include an exhaustive list of authors (looking at you, “et al.”). When assigning an author to such records, we don’t always have detailed information available on the order of the authors.

Solution: Again, adding a CrossRef DOI, PMC, or ArXiv ID to your record in ORCID helps avoiding such disambiguates in metadata. In the case of having no such ID-s, please contact us here.

My name is not displayed properly on a record. To whom should I report it?

Background: A merging problem might have occurred in the course of aggregation due to a source conflict. For example, imagine if in one paper, your name is A. Smith; in another it’s A. P. Smith, another it’s Smith, Andrew. P., another it’s Dr. Andy Smith. It gets confusing, and computers get irritated by this.

Solution: Please contact us here to resolve.