To facilitate science communication and to support the promotion of your publications, the ScienceOpen platform offers a full suite of analytical features & promotion tools that our editors, authors, and all registered users can easily make use of. We welcome active participation! Here are some ideas to get you started:
My ScienceOpen: A personal open science hub
The My ScienceOpen user space offers a range of professional analytical and promotional tools and features built especially for scientific users to support them with their research and outreach within their discipline and beyond. Our dynamic, multidimensional search is freely accessible without registration, but users can create their own account and set up a scientific profile to make the most of their experience. Via the Dashboard, scientific members can synchronize their profile with ORCID, claim publications on ScienceOpen, or request missing titles to be added to our database.
Follow usage, citations, aggregated Altmetric score and more on the Statistics page.
Bookmarks store interesting articles and your saved searches keep you up-to-date on new available content. Follow Collections in your field for updates or network with colleagues.
Easily find, evaluate, and exchange articles
- Discover new articles on the ScienceOpen platform with over 56 million articles and article records and a wide range of filters and metrics
- Customize and save your search to stay on top of the literature. Export search results in standard bibliographic formats.
- Engage in discussions and evaluations on the latest publications as every record on the platform is open to recommendation, comments, and reviews
- Share your expertise and review an article. Experts can write and publish a post-publication review on ScienceOpen (incl. a Crossref DOI, ORCID integration and CC BY 4.0 license)
- Follow colleagues and invite them to recommend, share, or evaluate articles
- Use article-level metrics to explore the context of an article with view count, share count, references, citations, reviews, recommendations, and related content
- Track usage, altmetrics and citations for your publications in your My ScienceOpen profile
Add a lay summary, thumbnail images, disciplines and keywords to any of your own publications and expand your readership
- Write lay summaries or add a missing abstract for any of your own publications – this information is used to better promote your article as a “similar article”
- Summarize the article’s content in language that also non-specialists will understand to increase its reach
- Enrich your metadata with keywords, discipline information for better indexing
- Add a catchy image to get readers’ attention
Share articles via social media and increase their visibility
- Social media plays a central role in promoting content on ScienceOpen. With the click of a button share your favorite articles or collections on a variety of social media platforms (e.g. via Twitter or Facebook) and disseminate the knowledge
Publish or promote a preprint
- Why not publish a preprint on ScienceOpen (it’s free, incl. Crossref DOI and CC BY 4.0 license) and invite colleagues to write a review to get immediate critical input while still working on your paper?
- Include Preprints (or other OA versions) in Collections—so everyone can read the whole article
Attending a conference on your topic?
- Publish your conference poster at ScienceOpen (it’s free, incl. Crossref DOI and CC BY 4.0 license)
Create a Collection
The ScienceOpen platform supports discovery within specific research fields with Featured and Researcher-led Collections. Featured Collections are topical collections of articles created by publishers either featuring the content of a scientific journal or offering a platform for showcasing publisher content across a variety of journals. Researcher-led Collections are topic-specific selections of scientific articles curated by experts: From the research community for the research community. As an author and researcher, we invite you to contact us about creating your own collection.
- A Collection serves as an interactive platform and forum to engage researchers and readers in scientific communication and content evaluation
- ScienceOpen currently indexes over 56 million research records, incl. preprints, posters, proceedings, and open access articles: Collection Editors can include any relevant content in their collection independent of journals or publishers
- Editor status is granted individually, based on collection concept and level of expertise
- Each collection has its own landing page to be customized by the Editor (incl. text, images, tables, etc.)
- Each collection is assigned a Crossref DOI and becomes part of the Editor’s record of publications
- Each collection is advertised in banners across all relevant content of 56 million articles and records and has the same discovery tools available as the ScienceOpen search engine
Expert Features for Editors
Track collection statistics
- Article- and Collection-level metrics track article counts and article views, recommends and reviews, Altmetrics, social media shares and followers; plus, Collection statistics dynamically visualize activity counts through time
- Metrics and statistics help Editors gain insight into popular discussions around published articles and trace new trends, authors, or peer reviewers
- Make use of the interactive platform features and your collection becomes a springboard for scholarly exchange
- Create an introduction to any scientific topic by listing and contextualizing seminal readings
Review an article
- When creating Collections, you have editorial control over peer review—in the same way as a traditional journal editor
- With the click of a button invite colleagues on ScienceOpen to share their expertise or rate and review an article yourself
Add a Co-Editor
- If desired, you may add your colleagues as Co-Editors
- Co-Editors have the same functions available as the collection owner
Upload missing articles and add them directly to your collection
- Are there articles missing on our platform that you would like to include in your collection? Via My ScienceOpen, go to your private Dashboard and request them by submitting a list of DOIs, DOAJ or PubMed IDs. It is that simple
Ensure all Collection metadata is complete
- Increase accessibility, connectivity, visibility, discoverability by adding keywords and discipline tags
Export your collection, saved search results, or single articles with our export citation feature
- On all Collection and Article pages across 56 million articles and records there is an ‘Export as citation’ button. Any selection of up to 200 articles can be exported in either BibTex, Endnote, or RIS format and included in your reference manager for further engagement
- A plus for university lecturers: have your students evaluate and engage interactively with your collection contents and export the articles as a seminar literature list. It’s done in seconds!
Let authors know they are included in your collection
- Being included in a Collection highlights the significance and value of a research article. Why not let your colleagues know?
- Maybe they are interested in enhancing accessibility by adding keywords or lay summaries to their own articles’ metadata as well