University libraries are supporting the open access publishing activities of their researchers with a range of strategies from starting a University Press to providing hosting space on institutional repositories. A challenge for university libraries is to provide an innovative and professional publishing and communication environment with a limited budget for scholars.
ScienceOpen is a freely accessible, interactive research communication platform with open access at the core of our discovery environment. We can offer full professional open access hosting, preprint publishing, overlay journal environments, and megajournal publishing that connects our partners to major infrastructures such as ORCID, Crossref, and Datacite. Attractive marketing at the article and journal level within a state-of-the-art discovery environment, as well as interactive tools and support for authors to promote their work and track their progress can broadly increase the visibility of library publishing activities. Your content on ScienceOpen will benefit from the following services and features:
- With full-text XML and pdf hosting on ScienceOpen your DOI lands in the rich contextual environment of the ScienceOpen OR link back to the version of record on the university website
- Integration with ORCID, Crossref
- “Submit manuscript” button to help reach new authors
- Collection landing page to showcase your journal
- Contextual environment of over 70 million records driving search and discovery
- Dynamic search and filtering of all content at journal, publisher, author and collection level
- Article- and journal level usage statistics on the fly, plus quarterly usage reports
- Publisher and journal collections promoted with a banner on all relevant content in over 60 million article records
- Author-promotional tools for users to add lay summaries and share and track their work
- Community-run, researcher-led topical collections further promote usage
- Commenting and recommendation functionalities
- Post-publication peer review functionalities to further engage community
We can also offer full Open Access publishing packages, repository space, and other flexible solutions based on the ScienceOpen technology upon request.
We are also able to create unique projects, such as what we did for the University College London (UCL) Library. Together, we created a Collection that aggregates all UCL-affiliated COVID-19 and related research, which automatically updates to keep up with the high amount of new COVID-19 research. Explore more by going to the blogpost here or the collection itself.